Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Current Diet Plan - Ideal Protein

Hello lovelies,
I have decided to treat you with a second blog post within twenty four hours. After speaking with one of my best friends, I got the idea of sharing with you my weight loss journey and how it is going thus far.

Now for those of you who don't know me, I am by no means 'fat' or overweight, but I have had insecurities and body issues since I was 14. In high school, I gained weight very quickly after I stopped doing Gymnastics, and unfortunately I have the tiger stripes on my thighs to prove it. Since then, I was never happy with the extra weight I had put on. While I am a total advocate for a curvy body and absolutely love my curves, I was and still am very unhappy with how I look, and how I feel on the inside. Not only do I feel like body image and being confident in yourself is important, I think that feeling healthy on the inside is the most important goal.

I have tried exercising, dieting, cutting back on junk food, but nothing gave me the permanent results I was looking for. I either gained the weight back, or wasn't seeing results fast enough and quickly gave up. I got to a point over the summer that I realized I had gained ten pounds over the past year, and I finally decided that I had had enough.

My (hopefully) future mother in law had been following a diet plan for a few weeks, and had seen results now and when she had done it in the past. I asked her about her experiences and how it worked and she highly recommended it. After looking at my financial situation and realizing that I was spending almost 60 dollars a week on lunches, coffees, and fast food, and knowing from my mother in law that the average cost a week on her diet was eighty dollars, I said to myself, what the heck am I waiting for??? I felt unhealthy, unhappy, and I wanted things to change. So I made an appointment with the doctor, and I am happy to say that now, four weeks later, I have never been so happy about a decision I've made in my whole life. In four weeks, I was able to lose almost 10 pounds, solely by following the diet. My boyfriend will agree with me when I say that if I can do it, the Nutella and chocolate freak, that anyone can.

Let me break it down for you so that you can understand exactly what the diet is. When I went for my consultation, the doctor explained to me that our bodies have three energy sources, sugars, fats, and proteins. Our bodies, because of the society we live in, are hard wired to burn sugar as its primary source of energy. Pretty much everything we eat has sugar in it nowadays. Fat becomes a secondary source, followed by protein. She further explained that the only way that you're going to lose weight is to cut down on all of the sugars and the fats you're eating. Your body will never get used to burning fat if sugar is still existent in your system. Cutting out sugar and fats from your diet however, is not enough. In order to successfully lose weight, as we all know, you need to burn more calories in a day than you consume. So what this diet does is provides you with the energy that it needs through protein, while allowing your body to burn the fat that it already has stored in your cells through an extremely low calorie diet.

On a day to day basis, I will eat three proteins a day: breakfast, lunch and a snack after supper. These are all provided by the dietitian which you have to purchase. Luckily, there is a large variety of foods that you can eat that are provided by them. In the first week, they give you a starter kit so that you can try things out. If there's something that you don't like, next week, when you come back to purchase your food, you can always try something new until you find a mix of foods that you really enjoy that you could eat on a day-to-day basis. For supper you eat pretty much whatever you want so long as it follows the guidelines of the diet. In other words, that means that you cannot have anything that has sugar or fat which will become stored in your body. So for all of you pasta and bread lovers, you can say goodbye to that for the duration of the diet.

When most people think of protein or diets that come prepackaged from a doctor, you think that the food is not going to be very good and that it's going to be disappointing. I'm here to tell you that that's just not true. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. I'm not the type of person who is easily able to control what I eat, cook my own food, and think of new food ideas that I'd be allowed to eat. So this diet is perfect for me, it pretty much gives you no choice of what you have to eat during the day, and at supper time you can eat as much as you want as long as you don't go overboard. I will be honest, the first week is always the hardest. You go through sugar withdrawal, I got massive headaches, and I was very irritable. But once those few initial days pass, it gets easier and easier to follow. I'm now in my fifth week, and I can't believe that the time has passed by so fast. Not only are you obligated to have the protein foods that are given to you by the dietitian, but they also give you vitamins to take every single day. I never used to take vitamins in the past, but now I really see the benefits of taking them. My skin in the past five weeks has cleared up, Not even hormones or stress has been able to make me break out.

I could go on and on about the benefits of this diet, but I think that the most important one is that after four weeks of being on it, I feel a lot better about myself not only on the outside but on the inside as well. I feel like I have more energy, which is kind of weird considering that I'm consuming a lot less calories. I can't say that I've been a saint while on this diet. I do have my moments where I would cheat and eat something that's not allowed, for example, a piece of cake when going to a friends house or relatives house for some event, But the key to this diet is self-control. By allowing yourself to have one very small treat a day you avoid the temptation and it helps you stick to the diet. Like I said earlier, if I am able to do it, anybody is able to do this diet. All it takes is willpower, perseverance and most of all patience. We all must realize that Rome wasn't built in a day. In order to achieve the body and the self-confidence that we really want, we must be willing to work to get it and continue striving towards it no matter what obstacles face us.

I know that it's difficult, but I believe in myself and I believe that you have the power to change your life. If you want something bad enough, you'll do whatever you can to get it. Take charge of your life and do what you know is best for you. Remember that what works for one person may not work for everyone, you're the one that knows your body the best and if you're having self-confidence and body issues don't be afraid to try something new. There is no such thing as 'I can't do it'.

If there is anything you want to ask about the diet that I'm following, don't be shy to ask me in the comments below. In a few weeks I will try to update you on where I am on the diet and let you know when I reach my goal weight. I hope that I've inspired some of you to take charge of your own health. Remember that when it comes to fashion, it doesn't really matter what you wear, what matters is how you wear it. If you're happy with your body and you're comfortable in your own skin, you'll look good in anything you decide to put on your back. I will see you guys in the next blog post. A la prochaine!!!

Fashionabli yours,

~Suzy
Xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Hey... really nice and informative article! I've also got rid of my extra pounds with the help of the Ideal Protein diet program. I'm very satisfied of my results, especially that I've lost a good amount of my weight, which is great! :D I recommend this diet to all... they won't regret anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has worked for me. I'm up to 16 pounds lost and still counting. 4 pounds away from my goal weight! I'm glad to hear that you've done well also :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Blogging tips